|Eligibility to Join USAF MARS|
The applicant must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien.
- Possess a valid amateur radio license issued by the Federal Communications Commission of Technician class or higher.
- Operational digital capability using either TNC or soundcard. Currently USAF MARS uses PACTOR I and the several computer sound card modes, Olivia, MT 63, and M110A are most common.
- Possess an operational HF station capable of operating SSB on at least two of the USAF MARS HF frequencies assigned to Region 5.
- All new members must have equipment that meets a frequency stability of +/- 20 Hz prior to joining AF MARS. Current FCC type accepted amateur equipment and NITA compliant equipment meet these specifications. All VHF radio equipment must have a channel spacing of 12.5 kHz (or less).
- Not join or belong to more than one MARS service at the same time.
MARS members must agree to operate in accordance with the rules and regulations governing MARS as follow:
- A minimum of 12 hours participation per calendar quarter.
- Participate in a training program designed to acquaint the member with military communication procedure.