|Eligibility to Join USAF MARS|
Before applying for AFMARS membership, please read the following:
IF YOU ARE NOT A RESIDENT OF ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, OHIO, OR WISCONISIN, DO NOT USE THIS APPLICATION. We cannot approve your application as you are not within our region boundaries. Please go to the State MARS Link for your home state to apply and for information on how to do so for your respective division. Applications submitted from outside of our region will not be processed.
The applicant must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien.
- Possess a valid amateur radio license issued by the Federal Communications Commission of Technician class or higher.
- Operational digital capability using either TNC or soundcard. Currently USAF MARS uses MFSK16, Olivia and MT 63 and the proprietary Mil-Spec M110A waveform mode.
- Possess an operational HF station capable of operating SSB on at least two of the USAF MARS HF frequencies assigned to the North Central Area.
- All new members must have equipment that meets a frequency stability of +/- 20 Hz prior to joining AF MARS. Current FCC type accepted amateur equipment and NITA compliant equipment meet these specifications. All VHF radio equipment must have a channel spacing of 12.5 kHz (or less).
- Not join or belong to more than one MARS service at the same time.
MARS members must agree to operate in accordance with the rules and regulations governing MARS as follow:
- A minimum of 12 hours participation per calendar quarter.
- Participate in a training program designed to acquaint the member with military communication procedure.
Please do NOT attempt to complete/submit this form using the Firefox browser. We have found that applicants attempting to use Firefox are not having their forms processed properly and, therefore, they do not get submitted to the appropriate persons to be processed. We recommend using Microsoft Edge (from Windows 10), Internet Explorer, or Google Chrome for this application.